Department of Philosophy
2312 Dunford Hall
Knoxville, Tennessee 37996-0480
Ph.D., Philosophy, University of Texas at Austin, 2012
My research explores the intersections of environmental ethics and philosophy of science. I am particularly interested in conceptual and ethical questions that arise in value-laden, policy-relevant environmental sciences like conservation biology and climate science. I have also worked on topics in philosophy of economics and philosophy of psychiatry.
Recent, representative publications
- "Ethics of The Scientist qua Policy Advisor: Inductive Risk, Uncertainty, and Catastrophe in Climate Economics.” Forthcoming in Synthese.
- “Making Uncertainties Explicit: the Jeffreyan Value-Free Ideal and its Limits.” Forthcoming in Exploring Inductive Risk.
- "'Biodiversity' and Biological Diversities: Consequences of Pluralism Between Biology and Policy." Forthcoming in Routledge Handbook of the Philosophy of Biodiversity.
- “On Joseph Spengler’s ‘Have Values a Place in Economics?’” Ethics 2015.
- "Biodiversity, Conservation Biology, and Rational Choice." Studies in History and Philosophy of Biological and Biomedical Sciences 2014.
- "Conservation Goals and Species Preservation: Uncertainty and Multiple Values." (Open peer commentary.) Ethics, Policy and Environment 2013.
- "Asymmetrical Contributions to the Tragedy of the Commons and Some Implications for Conservation." Sustainability 2013. With Jennifer Jacquet and Christopher Schlottman.
- "Assessing Efficacy of 'Neuroenhancing' Drugs: Normative Problems in Empirical Controversies." In Designer Biology: The Ethics of Intensively Engineering Biological and Ecological Systems. 2013.
- "Conservation Biology: Ethical Foundations." Nature Education Knowledge 2012. With Sahotra Sarkar.
- "Neuroeconomic reductionism at work? A review of Paul W. Glimcher's Foundations of Neuroeconomic Analysis." Erasmus Journal for Philosophy and Economics 2011.
- "Group Decisions in Biodiversity Conservation: Implications from Game Theory." PLoS ONE 2010. With Sahotra Sarkar.
- "Chagas Disease Risk in Texas." PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases 2010. With Sahotra Sarkar, Stavana Strutz, Chissa Rivaldi, Blake Sissel, and Victor Sanchez-Cordero.
Recent Representative Presentations
- “Ethics of the Scientist qua Policy Advisor: Catastrophe and Inductive Risk in Climate Economics.”
March 2016, Climate Ethics and Economics Workshop, Duke University.
- "Inductive Risk and Higher Order Uncertainty."
August 2015, UNC Chapel Hill.
- "Biodiversity Value from Theory to Practice."
July 2015, International Society for Environmental Ethics, Christian Albrechts University, Kiel, Germany.
- "Pragmatic Encroachment and Objectivity in Forensic Psychiatry."
May 2015, Association for the Advancement of Philosophy and Psychiatry.
- "From 'War Amongst Ecologists' to Uneasy Consensus: Science-Policy Interactions in the Biodiversity-Ecosystem Function Debate."
August 2015, Ecological Society of America.
January 2014, University of Tennessee, Philosophy of Conservation Biology graduate seminar.
October 2013, NYU History of Science Working Group.