Department of Philosophy
801 McClung Tower
Knoxville, TN 37996-0480
My Ph.D. is from the University of Virginia. I have also an M.A. from the University of Chicago. I joined the UT Philosophy Department in the fall of 2013
I work primarily in German Idealism and moral and political philosophy. I am currently working on a book on Hegel's account of virtue. I am also interested in applied ethics and early modern philosophy.
Recent, representative publications
- "Hegel on Rectitude and 'Virtue as Such'" (forthcoming) The Southern Journal of Philosophy.
- "The Nature of the Emotions and the Ethics of Non-therapeutic Psychopharmacology" (forthcoming) Public Affairs Quarterly.
- "Moral Evil, Freedom, and the Goodness of God: Why Kant Abandoned Theodicy" (September 2012) British Journal for the History of Philosophy.
Recent Representative Presentations
- "Putting Hegel's 'Abstract Right' in Context." University of Sussex, Normativity and German Idealism Conference; May 2015
- "Emotions and the Ethics of Psychopharmacology." University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Philosophical Issues in Psychiatry Research Group; May 2012.