815 McClung Tower
Knoxville, TN 37996-0480
...And on a more personal note
I was in New York City a week after the September 11th terrorist attacks and stayed for a number of days. I kept a diary of those days and if you are interested in reading the diary, click here .
My Ph.D. is from the Northwestern University and I joined the department in the fall of 1969.
Ancient and medieval philosophy
Recent, representative publications
- Aristotle on Nature and Incomplete Substance (Cambridge University Press, 1996)
- Aristotle on Elemental Motion," Phronesis (1994)
- "Moral Philosophy, International Law, and the deaths of Innocents," in Just War, Nonviolence, and Nuclear Deterrence, ed. Richard Werner (Longwood, 1991).
- Deterrence, ed. Richard Werner (Longwood, 1991) "Luck and Happiness in the Nicomachean Ethics," Soundings (1990)
- Arms and Judgment: Law, Morality, and the Conduct of War in the Twentieth Century (Westview, 1989)
Undergraduate courses in ancient and medieval philosophy and graduate courses on each of Plato, Aristotle, and Aquinas-Anselm-Augustine
Various lectures to local churches and synagogues on the Greek view of the soul, medieval theology, and so on