Thank you for considering the Philosophy Graduate Program here in Knoxville, Tennessee, in sight of the beautiful Smoky Mountains!
The Philosophy Graduate Program accepts new students only in the fall semester. The department may begin looking at applications as early as the November prior to the desired term of entry, but the deadline for having all materials submitted is January 15. Admission and financial aid offers are made by the department by the end of February and applicants have until April 15 to accept or decline any offers.
We prefer graduate applicants to have taken a course in ancient philosophy, a course in the history of modern philosophy, a course in ethics, and a course in basic logic. If you have not taken all these courses, however, you may be allowed to complete them after admission to the Graduate School. More detailed information on the M.A. or Ph.D. programs can be found in the Graduate Student Handbook.
To apply for the Graduate Philosophy Program
Upload as Part of the Graduate School Application Process:
- Completed Online Graduate Application. (For general information about the application process, click here.)
- One unofficial transcript (official transcripts required after being admitted) from all colleges and universities attended, except The University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
- Resume or CV, per instructions provided as part of the Graduate School application process.
- At least a draft of a writing sample (e.g., a paper written for a course, preferably no longer than 20 pages), per instructions provided as part of the Graduate School application process. If you upload a draft, then when you are ready to submit the final writing sample, please e-mail it to Susan Williams, firstname.lastname@example.org, the staff administrator for the department's graduate admissions committee; she will upload it in place of the draft on the Graduate School's application page.
- Request that an official copy of your GRE scores be sent from the Educational Testing Service to the Graduate School.
- Arrange for recommendations from three people familiar with your academic progress and achievements to be submitted electronically, per instructions provided as part of the Graduate School application process.
- International students: consult the Graduate School's Admission Guide for International Students for any further required documentation.
During the Graduate School application process, you will be provided the opportunity to apply for financial aid from the department in the form of Assistantships. These include tuition waivers (and waiver of UT's "maintenance fee") and a stipend in exchange for the performance of teaching and/or grading duties. (Note: the tuition and maintenance fee waiver still leaves certain fees to be paid by the student; see http://onestop.utk.edu/your-money/tuition-fees/.) The Graduate School also directly offers Fellowship and Assistantship opportunities.
Click here to Apply: Online Graduate Application