Department of Philosophy
801 McClung Tower
Knoxville, Tennessee 37996
I received my BA in Philosophy at the University of Virginia in 2003, minoring in Religious Studies, and earned my PhD in Philosophy at Georgetown in 2012.
My primary philosophical interests include the character and limits of subjectivity as well as normative and psychological issues surrounding agency in ethics and politics. I am also interested in feminism, Nietzsche scholarship, and radical democratic thought and practice. My current research is aimed at developing ways of understanding personal commitment, as well as key ethical and epistemic virtues like civility, humility, integrity, and justice, that take seriously the role and potential value of conflict in human psychic and social life.
Recent, representative publications
- “Tear Down This Wall: Charitable Citizenship and the Deficit of Public Trust in the Age of Trump,” for the July 2017 Double Issue on the 2016 US Election of Georgetown University’s Kennedy Institute of Ethics Journal.
Recent Representative Presentations
- “Sociable Sovereigns: Private Will and Public Reason in Christine Korsgaard’s Psychology of Action.” 20th Century European Philosophy Workshop. Georgetown University, November 2012.
- “Some Problems of Integrity.” Thinking Hard Club Philosophy Workshop, Siena Heights University, April 2013.
- “Taking Our Selves Too Seriously: Commitment, Contestation, and the Dynamic Life of the Self.” International Ethics Conference on Reasons and Virtues. Australian Catholic University, Melbourne, Australia, May 2015.
- “Taking Our Selves Too Seriously: Commitment, Contestation, and the Dynamic Life of the Self” (Poster Session). Rocky Mountain Ethics Congress. University of Colorado, Boulder, August 2015.
- “Practical Agents and the Social World:” comments on Geraldine Ng. Rocky Mountain Ethics Congress. University of Colorado, Boulder, August 2015.
- “Ethics in Government” workshop leader. International Caux Conference, Just Governance for Human Security, Initiatives of Change Foundation. Caux, Switzerland, July 2016