The Department of Philosophy at The University of Tennessee regularly sponsors visiting speakers, symposia, workshops and conferences. For a list of philosophers who have visited the Department in association with one or another of these undertakings in recent years, click here.
All Events are Free and Open to the Public.
- January 10, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
Guest Lecture: Seth Shabo (University of Alabama)
"Free Will: Searching for the Real Mystery"
- January 14, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
Remy Debes (University of Memphis)
"The Authority of Empathy"
- January 18, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
Kevin Vallier (University of Arizona)
"Liberalism, Religion and the Promise of Convergence."
- January 21, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
Chris Franklin (UC-Riverside)
"A Theory of the Normative Force of Pleas"
- January 24, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
Amandine Catala (University of Colorado)
"Political Legitimacy: Reframing the Normative Question of Secession"
- January 26, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
Jon Garthoff (Northwestern University)
"The Priority and Posteriority of Right"
- January 31, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
Tristram McPherson (University of Minnesota-Duluth)
"Ethical Non-naturalism and the Metaphysics of Supervenience"
- February 4, 2011, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
David Palmer (University of Tennessee)
"Revisiting a Traditional Argument for Incompatibilism"
- March 3-5
Ethics and Literature Conference
Baker Center for Public Policy
Contact Allen Dunn, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Charles Altieri (English, UC-Berkeley)
- Amanda Anderson (English, Johns Hopkins)
- Jim Nelson (Philosophy, Michigan State)
- Geoffrey Galt Harpham (President, National Humanities Center)
- James Phelan (English, Ohio State)
- Frank Farrell (Philosophy, SUNY-Purchase)
- March 4, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
McClung Tower 1210
Michael McKenna (University of Arizona)
- March 25-26
McClung Tower 1210
Epistemic Norms and Values Symposium
Speakers: Robert Audi (Notre Dame), EJ Coffman (Tennessee), Tom Kelly (Princeton), Jon Kvanvig (Baylor), Linda Zagzebski (University of Oklahoma).